Kigali, 5, October 2019
RDB (Rwanda Development Board) informs the general public that tourism services continue to operate normally in Volcanoes National Park and all other national parks and attractions in Rwanda following security incidents where unidentified gunmen attacked local communities in Kinigi Sector, Northern Province.
Security organs have contained the situation and order is restored. All visitors to Volcanoes National Park were and continue to be safe.
RDB further reiterates that hundreds of thousands of guests have visited Rwanda’s Volcanoes National Park over the past 20 years without incident.
Safety and security are the hallmark of the Rwandan tourism experience, and will continue to be our highest priority.
We look forward to welcoming all visitors to Rwanda.
See below for additional information
1. Who are they and where were they from?
The captured assailants belong to RUD URUNANA and came from DRC.
2. How did they come.
Initial information indicate they came from DRC through the Virunga National Park. Investigations will help reveal more on this.
3. How was the situation neutralized and contained?
Security forces intervened immediately with the help of local residents to stop the assailants. 19 assailants were killed and 8 others were captured alive.
4. How many innocent lives were lost?
15 people were killed from the attack, most of them with traditional weapons.
5. Were tourist and tourist facilities the target of the attack?
No tourist or tourist facility were targets of the attack
6. What measures are in place to mitigate such incidents
- Security organs have increased patrols while maintaining a robust posture (without compromising the hotels requirements)
- Enhanced/extended security visibility over the area using high technology
- Security Liaison Officers /Focal Points have been stationed at every hotel for any security related questions;
- Security organs will continue to work closely with FARDC (Armed Forces of the Democratic Republic of the Congo) in their operations to neutralize these armed groups from their bases in DRC.
7. Tourism status Post incident status
Tourism services continue to operate normally in and adjacent to the Volcanoes National park and all other tourist attractions in the country. Rwanda continues to prioritize safety and security of all citizens and visitors of Rwanda. Within the first 4 days of the incident, over 600 visitors had visited the Volcanoes National Park and this number grows every day.
For media inquiries please contact:
RDB Communications at firstname.lastname@example.org